10 October 2014

Italy 2014 Day Two


We arrive in Florence without having slept, drop our bags at the Hotel Helvetia-Bristol,
stumble out into the Italian world...
finding sunshine in the Piazza Della Repubblica.
 
Also cappuccinos there.
They are better in an outdoor café in Italy.
No, really.
In a daze at the Duomo.
Someone bought art supplies in a real Italian art store. Just ask her...
Lunch at the Piazza Della Signoria.  
Neptune and his fountain celebrate Italy's naval power.
 
He stands at the Palazzo Vecchio, built in the 1300s.
It was remodeled in 1540 as a palace for the Medici family patriarch Duke Cosimo I.
Courtyard of Palazzo Vecchio.
Next door is the Loggia della Signoria, built in 1382, full of sculptures in the open air.
The expressive Rape of the Sabine Women by Giambologna,
carved from a single block of marble in 1583.
And David.
This copy stands before Palazzo Vecchio,
the was original moved from here in 1873 to the Accedemia Gallery nearby.
 
 Florence loves their David.
As do we all, si?
 
to be continued...

8 comments:

  1. This brought back so many memories. While wandering in Florence one day, where I had gone by bus from Pisa where I was staying, I turned a corner and there he was in all his glory. Davide! And then I bought a sweater at the Benetton shop. This was before Benetton went world wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You told me the one city not to miss was Florence. I took your advice! I loved it...

      Delete
  2. Need to get to Florence!! Rome was wonderful, Como divine....need to see the other cities! Love hearing all the details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't make it to Rome,. so I have to go back. I actually plan on it! Soon I hope...

      Delete

You have no idea how much this comment means. I really thank you for taking time to connect with me. This is why we are here, isn't it?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...